Friday, August 24, 2007

very greengaging

Img_0100


Greengages, the sweet, thin skinned, short seasoned plum-like fruit that often passes me by each year. My sister Amy is a big fan of greengages and hearing her talk about them, earlier this week, made me go and find some.


Once I bought them I wasn't too sure what to do with them. When I buy apricots, I usually bake them gently with amaretto or make a compote or crumble. I do the same with plums but with the greengages, I thought I'd make a cake and for some reason I thought I'd make a pecan cake with greengages - quick, simple and very tasty and seemed a big hit with my parents (or was that the custard and ice-cream?)


Greengage and Pecan Slab


  • 4 oz unsalted butter, soft

  • 4 oz soft brown sugar

  • 2 oz spelt flour

  • 2 oz self raising flour

  • half tsp baking powder

  • half tsp vanilla extract

  • 2 eggs

  • 4 oz pecans, roasted

  • approx 10 greengages

  • dark muscavado or Demerara sugar

  1. Place all the ingredients except the nuts into a food processor and combine

  2. Add half the nuts and pulse until they are broken down - but not ground

  3. Half and de-stoned the greengages and lay on the bottom of a lined tin

  4. Pour batter into lined small, rectangular baking tray

  5. Top with remaining broken pecan nuts and a good sprinkle of muscavado sugar and bake for 20 mins at 160ยบ  c

  6. Cool on wire rack for 10 mimutes then remove from tin

Pecan_slab_cake_2






No comments:

Post a Comment