Here's a quick recipe for Lemon Syrup Loaf. It keeps well thanks to the copious amounts of syrup although it taste so delicious fresh, it usually gets consumed on the same day. It's also great tarted up with some fresh raspberries, creme fraiche or cream for a quick pud.
Lemon Syrup Loaf
170g each of butter (room temperature)
170g self-raising flour
170g caster sugar.
1 level tsp of baking powder
2 large eggs
2.5 fl ounces of milk
grated zest of 1 large or 2 small lemons (keep lemons for juicing for syrup)
Juice of 2 lemons
50g icing sugar (or granulated/castor)
Heat oven to 170ºc
- Place all the ingredients in to a food processor or mixer until combined and is a 'dropping' consistency.
- Line a loaf tin (1lb, I think) with cake liners or grease with butter.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes or until skewer comes out of cake clean and place tin on cooling rack.
- Gently heat lemon juice and add icing sugar until dissolved.
- Pierce cake (still in tin) and pour over syrup until it's all absorbed in the cake.
- Once cake is cool, gently lift out of tin.