I'm trying, as always to cook healthy, inexpensive meals using
ingrediants that are both fresh and also from the store cupboard. Last
nights meal was meat-free, tasty and extremely simple. I cooked mushroom and leek stroganoff with steamed rice and buttered spinach with sultanas and pinenuts.
LEEK AND MUSHROOM'S IN CREAM (serves 2)
250g mixed mushrooms, cut in half, left whole or sliced depending on variety and size
2 large leeks, sliced
25g dried mushrooms, soaked in 1 pint of boiling water for an hour
1 medium onion or shallots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, sliced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
butter and olive oil
a small glass of brandy, wine, sherry or masala
1/4 pint cream/soured cream/creme fraiche
- Start by straining the mushrooms from the stock and reduce the liquid by 3/4 at a gentle simmer.
- Heat oil in large saute pan and fry onions and leeks until browned. Add thyme.
- Add large knob of butter to onions then fry the mushrooms.
- Once the mushrooms have browned add the garlic.
- Pour in your chosen alcohol and reduce.
- Add the mushroom stock and reduce until half the liquid has evaporated.
- Add cream, seasoning and simmer until ready to serve.